Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pop-culture blind spot?

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I think my pop-culture IQ is at the very least well above average, if not bordering on good. And that is something I definitely take pride in (all those hours spent on TV , movies and mags has gotta count for something, right?)

Buuut, I've recently it seems I am not exactly in step with the rest of pop-culture. Here's the evidence (feel free to gasp as many times as you need):

  • I don't Tweet (although that lil idea's been running around in the back of my mind)

  • I haven't watched a single episode of Lost (gasp, yes, I know) - so I have no idea why everyone's jaw dropped after the recent Lost finale or what the hoopla is about the statue's identity

  • I don't watch Gossip Girl/One Tree Hill/The Hills - honestly, they all seem the same to me and I couldn't care less

  • 24 is just a number to me - yeah, I know Keifer Sutherland is in it and all that. Beyond that, nothing. Zilch.

  • I don't watch Desperate Housewives/ The Real Housewives of New Jersey (or whatever) - don't know, don't care. Although I was a touch offended when the creators of Desperate Housewives launched that lil show called Big Shots - course it got canceled and all, still. The guys in Big Shots were as messed up, if not more, than the women in Desperate...so there.

  • Haven't watched Friday Night Lights - so my memory of Kyle Chandler from Early Edition is intact :)

  • Haven't watched HIMYM (I know, shocking!) - but I am going to make up for it this summer - go NetFlix! Neil Patrick Harris has always been Doogie to me, but I'm sure that'll change soon

  • I only catch random eps of SNL - but I heard JT rocks as the host

  • Rescue Me, In Treatment, The Shield, Numb3rs, Chuck, Dexter, The Mentalist and Prison Break are strangers to me - I missed the train on these

  • I haven't read a single Twilight book and I don't plan to. Ditto for the Twilight movies. Don't ask me why.
Now onto older pop-culture misses for me (in no particular order):

  • Haven't watched a single LOTR movie in its entireity - don't blame me, the LOTR book found its way home too late.

  • Apart from the original Star Wars and one of the sequels (whichever one it was that had Jar-Jar Binks introduced), haven't watched the others

  • The only things I know about ER are that John Stamos is in the later seasons and George Clooney (insert mandatory swoon here) used to be on in earlier seasons

  • I haven't watched Seinfeld - at max, a couple of random scenes. So I don't know why 'Yada, yada, yada" is the No. 1 funniest phrase in that list of 50 funniest phrases from TV sitcoms

  • ET is a movie I have not yet watched - but I love the phrase 'ET phone home' :)

  • Sharks scare me - Jaws (and only the first movie) is the only one I have watched even 10 mins of. None of the sequels. Sorry.

  • I haven't watched any of the Godfather movies - but small consolation, I have read the first book

  • Haven't watched Pulp Fiction or Scarface or any of the Kill Bill series - sorry, not one for excessive violence/gore
Now here's some TV I did watch growing up - I'll try not to make this list too snakin' long (and no, snickering is not allowed):

  • Friends
  • The Wonder Years
  • Remington Steele
  • Now and again
  • the very first Survivor
  • the very first Amazing Race
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Angel
  • Mutant X
  • JAG
  • Dark Angel
  • Will & Grace
  • the 60's Star Trek on TV
  • Lost in Space (the TV series, although I did watch the movie too, but only for Matt LeBlanc)
  • Doogie Howser M.D
  • Moonlighting
  • Charles in Charge
  • Who's the boss?
  • Diff'rent Strokes
  • Silver Spoons
  • Early Edition
  • Charmed
  • Dawson's Creek
  • Mind your language
  • I Dream of Jeannie (the technicolor one, not the old, B/W one)
Now come on guys, enough with the snickering...

My movie list is waaaaaay longer - if anyone's interested, let me know and I will find a way to have you spend a nice, lazy afternoon going through my movie list...

Bored yet? No? Ok great - cos in spite of my apparent ignorance of all things in nowadays, I do watch my fair share of current TV and movies - proof is here and here. But seriously, has anyone of you out there watched all of this? If so, then do share - which ones are a must-watch? Something that would deserve a place on my 'before I die' list? Anything legendary? :D

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just stumbled across your blog via a Friday Night Lights google alert, so I hope it's okay if I post.

In regards to your question about which show is a must watch, well, FNL, of course! :-) I was a huge Early Edition fan and Kyle Chandler was the reason I decided to watch FNL. In EE, he's like the cute boy next door. In FNL, he's all grown up. He's much sexier in FNL. Nuff said.

Ramanan said...

Hi Deeps,

a post after a loooonnnng time :)

well Seinfeld is a must watch.. in terms of movies .. ready to go through your list and suggest [with my limited knowledge]..

keep posting
-Ramanan

Deepa Dev said...

@Maryilee, it's more than okay if you post :)

FNL lights huh? ok, its going on my NetFlix queue right away...

I agree, Kyle Chandler totally was the cute boy next door in EE - I haven't found EE on NetFlix though :(...

@Ramanan, boss, it's good to hear from you! been posting a lot actually - yapping away to glory :D

if YOU have limited knowledge, then what do I have exactly? ;)