Sunday, June 22, 2008

a kinship beyond blood...

Sunday was a movie marathon day for me - totally had a blast - after a loooooong time...
Managed to pack in Jab we met, Bommarillu and Rang de Basanti... and even as I write this, I am seriously considering watching Dil Chahta Hai ...

Rang de is an all time favorite of mine - for a number of reasons... I first saw it in the theatre in Feb 2006 - with my gang of buddies after a friend's wedding ... the timing was so brilliant ... it was our first year in the real world after post-grad college - the movie perfectly captured on-screen the camaraderie and affection I felt for my friends - the 9 of us managed to survive the post-grad course (and I am not talking about the acads) and like I mentioned in my first post - these 8 were my reason for living through the course with my sanity intact...

I could write pages and pages about why I love Rang de but will try to keep it short here... I dont want this to end up as a movie review...

Rang de joins the rank of all time awesome buddy movies - Dil Chahta Hai is another favorite of mine... the fact that Aamir has starred in both is just a coincidence...

I found Rang de's execution to be brilliant - story, screenplay, music, dialogue, costumes, camerawork .. you name it..

Some lines from the movie crack me up every time - "mere paet mein toh chuhe kabaddi khel rahe hain yaar" or "yeh sab samajhti hai yaar" or "puchchu aur daer nahin ruk sakte? kash, par puchchu ruk nahin sakta... [all the guys]: puchchuuuuuuuu!! " or even "miss freedom contest da sari round" - my favoritest though is "maut ki ungli".. precious...

The dialog that Aamir's character mouths when Karan and Sukhi go to drop off Aslam - about how baahar duniya hame nachaati hai but university ke gates ke is paar ham zindagi ko nachaate hain ... struck a chord with me - so true, so true... And sadly, he was right about even the best of friends not getting to meet after leaving college - working hard to make their own lives... I've first hand experience of that... but .. life moves on... And yes, you 8 out there - I miss you all badly...

The highlight of the movie was, for me, how well each of the characters had been defined and how well they gelled together (I know I know, they had all those orientation sessions to get familiar & comfortable with each other... still)... And tell me, who didnt want to be friends with them or have friends like them... Karan the cool rebel, Aslam the shaayar, Sukhi the clown, DJ the mischevious, Ajay the sexy IAF pilot or Sonia the sweetheart of the group... Aise dost kahaan milte hain... I also loved the way the friendship between Aslam and Pandey - who went from tearing each other's throats to solid buddies, slowly developed ...

I usually run the Rang De dvd only till the part before Ajay dies - I'd watch the rest of the movie but I usually cry my eyes out and given the current temperatures where I live, I'd run the risk of serious dehydration... Rang de is and always will be an instant pick-me-up for me...

I love every track in this movie - you already know how big a fan of ARR I am - this was one of his best I think - cool, hip and even after 2 yrs, gets me grooving - be it to Khalbali or the title track or Paathshala...

And yes, if you also noted - it was two Siddharth movies in a day - I'm a big fan and I love how he does tamil, telegu & hindi films with ease - he is an under-rated actor but I'm sure his time will come...

Since then I have gone on to watch these guys separately in starring roles - Aamir in TZP, Soha in Khoya Khoya Chaand, Kunal in Laga Chunari mein daag, Sharman in Life in a Metro, Madhavan in Evano Oruvan ... all fine actors in their own right... young blood...

Anyways, I think I will stop rambling here... my ipod beckons... till the next post then.. ta!

No comments: